Noun(1) an open or empty space in or between things(2) a ceremony accompanying the start of some enterprise(3) becoming open or being made open(4) the first performance (as of a theatrical production(5) the act of opening something(6) opportunity especially for employment or promotion(7) the initial part of the introduction(8) a possible alternative(9) an aperture or hole that opens into a bodily cavity(10) a vacant or unobstructed space that is man-made(11) an entrance equipped with a hatch; especially a passageway between decks of a ship(12) a recognized sequence of moves at the beginning of a game of chess(13) the first of a series of actions
Verb(1) cause to open or to become open(2) start to operate or function or cause to start operating or functioning(3) become open(4) begin or set in action, of meetings, speeches, recitals, etc.(5) spread out or open from a closed or folded state(6) make available(7) become available(8) have an opening or passage or outlet(9) make the opening move(10) afford access to(11) display the contents of a file or start an application as on a computer
Adjective(1) first or beginning
(1) Indeed, they might have won the league too but for losing their opening two matches and then going the remainder of the trip undefeated.(2) There had been an opening made by senior counsel for the appellant which disclosed certain aspects of the defence case.(3) The idea is that one can play this opening without having to memorize a great number of lines.(4) Also, the opening to the story wasn't written by either me or my friend.(5) During fetal development, this opening allows blood in the fetus to bypass the lungs.(6) A double opening will offer new paintings by Aaron Hill entitled Inheritance.(7) Fortunately, an opening became available in the employer's parts department and he was afforded that job.(8) The Upper Eden Cycling Club turned out in force to celebrate the opening of the centre and following the ceremony headed off to Hawes for a round cycle route.(9) The remaining places in the main draw will be filled through the qualifying matches on the opening three days of the competition.(10) Fans had packed pubs across the district, turning them into a sea of red and white shirts and St George's flags to watch England's opening match.(11) Let me quote a short part of his guessing-game, prefaced by his usual opening .(12) A pageant of pupils celebrated their school's history as they welcomed the opening of its new building.(13) The competition commenced on the eve of India's opening match against Holland.(14) The light source is projected over the sample surface onto the opening of aperture 2.(15) But there is no direct evidence that the fresh air supply opening was in fact blocked in any way on this occasion.(16) The opening exchanges were evenly matched but the visitor eventually made the breakthrough on 25 minutes.
(1) open :: адкрыты
(2) opening hours :: гадзіны працы
(3) opening day :: дзень адкрыцця
(4) opening balance :: сальда на пачатак перыяду
(5) opening ceremony :: цырымонія адкрыцця
(6) opening up :: адкрыццё
(7) job opening :: адкрыццё працы
(8) opening time :: адкрыццё час
(9) sleeve opening :: адкрыццё рукавы
(10) opening statement :: ўступная размова
(11) opening night :: прэм'ера
1. hole ::
2. doorway ::
3. opportunity ::
4. vacancy ::
5. beginning ::
6. opening ceremony ::
7. hatchway ::
8. initiative ::
9. possibility ::
10. gap ::
11. orifice ::
12. opening night ::
13. unfasten ::
14. unwrap ::
15. uncork ::
16. spread out ::
17. reveal ::
18. open for business ::
адкрыты для бізнесу
19. begin ::
20. give access to ::
падаць доступ да
21. give ::
22. unfold ::
23. open up ::
Word Example from TV Shows
The best way to learn proper English is to read news report, and watch news on TV. Watching TV shows is a great way to learn casual English, slang words, understand culture reference and humor. If you have already watched these shows then you may recall the words used in the following dialogs.
It is only by OPENING the box
that you'll find out which it is.
The Big Bang Theory Season 1, Episode 17
I've traveled around Europe OPENING safes
Money Heist Season 3, Episode 6
I am not OPENING that door, Sheldon.
The Big Bang Theory Season 4, Episode 18
Very well. A quick OPENING statement.
The Big Bang Theory Season 3, Episode 16
Without OPENING that door,
a welder will go in.
Money Heist Season 3, Episode 3
English to Belarusian Dictionary: opening
Meaning and definitions of opening, translation in Belarusian language for opening with similar and opposite words. Also find spoken pronunciation of opening in Belarusian and in English language.
Tags for the entry "opening"
What opening means in Belarusian, opening meaning in Belarusian, opening definition, examples and pronunciation of opening in Belarusian language.